MINUTES January 2021 Meeting

Please note that the written record of a Parish Council Meeting remain NOTES until approved as the official MINUTES at the next Council Meeting.  NOTES are therefore subject to change until approved as MINUTES.

Folkingham Parish Council


held on Thursday 21st January 2021



1. Welcome & Introductions

The meeting commenced at 19.30

NB: During these unprecedented times of the Global Coronavirus Pandemic, this meeting was held remotely via a web meeting – with each Cllr calling in from their own home.  This had been communicated and members of the public invited to join and/or to submit questions in advance via telephone or email.

The Chair (HWS) welcomed those present at the web meeting – Cllr Richard Clark (RC), Cllr Lucy Robb (LR), Cllr Julie Watson Grant (JWG), Cllr Cath Lack (CL) and Cllr Dean Sturrock (DS).  Cllr Martin Hill from LCC was also present.  3 members of the public joined the meeting.

Apologies – PCSO Bramwell; Cllr Anne Booth


2. Declarations of Interest - There were no declarations of interest.


3. Public Questions

The Chair noted that no public questions had been submitted in advance, though there is correspondence from some to be addressed at item 17. 


4. Notes of the last Council Meeting held on 19th November 2020 to be approved

The notes of the Parish Council Annual Meeting held on 19th November 2020 were approved as the minutes.


5. Matters Arising

There were no matters arising.


6. Updates from SKDC/LCC

There were no updates available from Cllr J Hansen (SKDC). 

Cllr Hill (LCC) provided the following update:

  • Covid-19 Testing programmes: 
    • Lincolnshire rates are currently half the national average but still high. 
    • Rates are coming down and rates for over 60s are low. 
    • Testing stations are available for those asymptomatic (without symptoms) in Boston and Lincoln.
    • The positivity rate of those tested is around 1%, the problem is that these people spread it without knowing they have the virus.
  • Covid-19 Vaccination programmes:
    • Vaccine roll out proceeding week 13 GP led sites.  Priority lists first.  Half over 90s now done.  Grantham Spalding and Stamford as well as Boston – national site so separate system.  Some confusion - ;better okay offer Bedford but you will still get offered something more local if you wait.  Linc showground coming to.  Hoping for 50,000+ per month. Invitation only please don’t call.  Lincs has over average on people in scope age and vulnerability.  House bound service will be run by GPs.  Massive undertaking, NHS doing very well. Will take time. 
  • Schools open for key workers. 
  • Tree guards on the Market Place need replacing (see also correspondence Item 17).  The current plan is to replace them like for like, in wood; but a parishioner has requested something more substantial – we could have metal and taller. 
    • Chair asked for costs – Cllr Hill confirmed LCC will pay -no cost to Parish.  It was agreed that the metal guards are more in keeping given it is a conservation area.  All Councillors agreed metal would be better.  Cllr Hill to action
  • Queries about flooding at Billingborough Rd and Playing field (see also correspondence Item 17). 












7. Defibrillators

  • Needed and used this week.  Ambulance crew system said they were decommissioned.  Not run by Parish Council but we have a duty of care to support this important facility.  Person who had previously offered to help was the one taken unwell
  • Eric Eve has been in contact about supporting the scheme and the vicar also wants to help
  • Clerk to pass sales email to chair.  Cllr Clark to forward documentation also.



8. Traffic Calming Update

It was noted:

  • The 30 mph passive speed signs have been removed from the A15 and have been down for some time.
  • It is likely that future rotations will alternate between West Street, Walcot Lane and the main A15/Market Place.

It was agreed:

  • Signs will be replaced asap


9. Playing Field

It was noted:

  • Following repeated incidences of vandalism, theft and ASB in the previous 12 months FPC will now consider installing CCTV.  RFFC are supportive of adding cameras to their existing CCTV system on the pavilion – suggestion is for a cameras facing entrance, allotments, and playground.  Cllr Clark gave the following update:
    • Set up installed in 2010.  Company who installed it have no records.  Suggestion is to install a whole new system with a hard disc – 10 yrs development is significant
    • Record activation, 2 TB hard disc, 5 cameras.  Up to £1000. Only concern is GDPR – would need signs and specific named people to ensure limited viewing because of view of playground.  Should RFFC contribute?
    • Conifers – request by RFFC to plant them as a replacement to the existing hedgerow.  Discussions about whether conifers are suitable. Somethings more native to avoid negatives of conifers was suggested.  In theory supportive but WHAT goes in is important.  RC to suggest they make a suitable alternative option.
  • Playground –
    • Creative play booked for w/c 8/3/21 for new swing.  Suggest a working party to prepare site – removal of old swing, preservative etc. 28/2/21 working party arranged of Councillors to prep site.

Following a brief discussion the following was voted on and agreed:

  • Agreement in principal to go ahead with CCTV. RC to get full quotes.  It was agreed RFFC should not be asked to contribute.
  • RC to communicate further with RFFC about their plans for the hedge and ask them to suggest alternative to conifers.
  • Councillors to support the preparation of the site for the new swing












10. Grass Cutting

Nothing to note.


11. Allotments

It was noted:

  • A plot recently became available waiting for response from writing list
  • Invoices out this weekend



12. Village Green 


  • See item 6 for discussions regarding the new tress and guards.


13. Other Village Matters

  • Citroen selection at West Street – contact SKDC Housing department.  Up to 8 cars parked there at any time.
    • Cllr Lack to follow up with SKDC Housing Dept
    • Lots of cars from greyhound parking in Market Square


14. Planning

It was noted:

  • No new applications since last meeting.  FPC were provided with a courtesy notification of the intention to submit an application for 3 new houses at Low Farm, Spring Lane.  Usual process to be followed when application is submitted.
  • The new website contains a link to the SKDC planning portal for easy searching of applications





15. Finance

It was noted:

  • All payments and receipts were reviewed.
  • Grant application:
    • Millennium Green - £500 application to help towards insurance and mowing due to inability to fundraise.  It was noted that the Parish Council has overspent on its budget for grant applications this financial year but has underspent in previous years.
  • A discussion was had regarding the planned precept application for 2021-22.  It was proposed that there should be no increase this financial year and that the same amount (£11,000) should be applied for as in 2020-21

It was agreed:

  • All payments were approved.
  • Grant applications:
    • Approved unanimously due to unprecedented situation.
  • Proposal to apply for £11,000 (no increase) was approved unanimously - £11,000 to be applied for.










16. Training Update

The Clerk continues to circulate training dates available to all Councillors.  Some training is now available online.

It was noted:

  • Councillors were shown the new PC websitewww.folkingham.parish.lincolnshire.gov.uk/. The new website launched on 30th December 2020.  Everything appropriate has been transitioned from the old site, but it is still a work in progress so suggestions welcome.  There is now the option to add a calendar of events and to post news items.


All Cllrs



17. Correspondence

  • Tree work in market place to include new guards.  Arranged by LCC.  (see Item 6)
  • Flooding concerns at junction with Billingborough Rd and A15
  • Courtesy notification of planned planning application for 3 houses at Low Farm
  • Icy pathways near Market Place/Quaintways caused by pipework – is this an SKDC issue?

CORONOVIRUS:  Please let us know if you require any support or you are offering any support that you would like us to communicate.  The Clerk will update the website as frequently as necessary with information on the Covid-19 support available.



18. Date of Next Meeting

The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Thursday 18th March 2021 at 7.30pmPlease note that it is highly likely that this meeting will also be held remotely – members of the public may submit any questions in advance and are welcome to join the virtual meeting –details will be posted on the website a few days in advance of the meeting.



19. Close - There being no further business the meeting closed at 20:42


Future Meetings:


  • 18th March 2021 – 7.30pm


  • 20th May 2021 (Annual Meeting of the Council)
  • 15th July 2021
  • 16th September 2021
  • 18th November 2021